Basic Catechist Formation Course
The Basic Catechist Formation Course, recently revised in light of the National Directory for Catechesis (NDC), is a 48-hour course offered at centers throughout the diocese. The course, which incorporates the six tasks of catechesis and uses various methodologies suggested in the Directory, is offered for all catechists—preschool through adult. It is designed to provide beginning parish or school catechists, or those needing renewal in catechetics, with a knowledge of the Catholic faith and Christian living as well as the skills and techniques which are necessary to hand on the faith, encourage a deeper relationship with Christ and promote discipleship and evangelization.
Upon successful completion of the course, which is in compliance with the Guidelines for Obtaining the California Catechist Certificate issued by the California Catholic Conference, catechists receive California Catechist
There are no academic pre-requisites for taking the Basic Catechist Formation Courses sponsored by the Diocese.
Goals of the Course
- To develop or deepen a sense of vocation to serve as a catechist and to explore the qualities needed to respond to the call.
- To develop basic knowledge, skills and abilities needed to communicate the Gospel message effectively.
- To understand basic Catholic doctrine as defined by the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
- To understand and implement the tasks of catechesis as described in the NDC.
- To experience Christian community through prayer, liturgical experiences, witnessing and group learning situations.
- To encourage ongoing study, growth, conversion and renewal.
- To stimulate an evangelizing spirit and enthusiastic discipleship.
The Basic Catechist Formation Course is taught by a team of qualified instructors called Master Catechists. All Master Catechists are approved by the Office for Evangelization and Catechetical Ministry and complete a diocesan training program.
The Basic Catechist Formation Course is offered at various centers throughout the Diocese. The cost of the course is $60.00 and includes handouts, Catechism of the Catholic Church and the use of resource materials. The current listing of courses can be found on our events page.
The San Diego Diocesan Institute offers courses to provide foundational theology for persons interested in ministry. Most courses can be used
toward obtaining diocesan ministry certificates and for renewal of catechist certification.
California Catechist Certification may be achieved through satisfactory completion of three fifteen-hour Diocesan Institute courses as follows:
- C110 – Catechism of the Catholic Church;
- S120 – Catechetics;
- S100 – Faith Growth: Childhood and Early Adolescence,
or S105 – Faith Growth: Adults
For further information and course descriptions regarding the San Diego Diocesan Institute Courses, please call the Institute Office at (858) 490-8212.
Waiving Course Requirements
Catechists who hold certification from another Diocese or who have a strong background in Theology and Catechetics may have the requirement for course work waived by submitting a profile which is available from the Office for Evangelization and Catechetical Ministry. The Director will review the profile and issue certification, or advise the catechist of coursework needed for certification.